We are all familiar with the idea of braces, an apparatus that helps straighten your teeth and is mostly associated with pre-teens. However, there are many adults who have imperfect teeth but do not want to go through the pain and hassle of traditional braces. Or who’s teeth may have been good enough to not require braces as a teen, but who still feel self-conscious about their imperfect smile. For the people, might be the answer that you’ve been looking for.
What is Invisalign®?
Invisalign® is a dental aligner that is an alternative to traditional braces. Like braces, Invisalign® is custom-fit for each individual patient and helps realign your teeth, giving you improved oral health and a perfect smile. However, Invisalign® is made from clear plastic which makes it much more comfortable than traditional metal braces, plus clear plastic means that Invisalign® is hard to detect and blends into your teeth. There is also an improved comfort aspect because unlike braces which are screwed into place, Invisalign® can be removed to make eating and oral care easier.
If you have been considering getting your teeth straightened, but have been put off by the idea of traditional braces, Invisalign® might be right for you. If you think that you might be interested in Invisalign®, then this is the process you will need to follow:
- First, consult your dentist or orthodontist. They will examine you and decide whether you are a good fit for Invisalign®.
- If your dentist decides that you are a good candidate, then you will need another appointment to create a specific treatment plan. This is because Invisalign® is a custom fit for each patient. The fitting process involves photos and x-rays of your mouth and impressions of your teeth, which are then used to create your Invisalign® aligners and achieve the perfect fit.
- Once you have gone for the fitting, your custom aligners will be created and your dentist will show you how to put them in and remove them.
- Unlike braces, Invisalign® is removable. You will them at night and during the day, only removing them to eat and care for your teeth. Your dentist will walk you through the process.
- Each set of Invisalign® will last for a few weeks and then need to be replaced. Your dentist will let you know when you need to switch aligners. This is to ensure optimal alignment of your teeth and is a gradual process.
- As your treatment progresses, your dentist will access you and decide when you can stop treatment. Once you remove your Invisalign® for good, you should have the straight smile you’ve been dreaming of!
Invisalign® really is that simple!
It’s that simple. While the treatment is not instant, the rewards are worth it and the process is much simpler than it used to be. With Invisalign®, you remove the pain and inconvenience of traditional braces, plus there is no awkward phase as Invisalign® is nearly undetectable. It’s a great solution for anyone who has longed for a straight smile but doesn’t want to bother with the hassle of traditional braces.